Sue Evans’ Story Time Chair Memorial
We held a coffee morning on the 24th October 2012 in memory of Sue Evans. Sue was a teacher at Mayfield until July 2011 and she sadly died in May 2012.
Sue was a much loved and respected member of Mayfield and the staff wanted to raise money towards an outdoor reading area because some of our happiest memories are of the stories that Sue used to read to the children. We managed to raise an incredible £594 for the memorial.
On Thursday 26th June 2014 we invited Ken, Julie and Jackie; Sue Evans family, to open our new reading circle by cutting the red ribbon and reading a story to some of the pupils. It was a lovely occasion for Ken and his family and also the staff and pupils at Mayfield School. We would like to thank those who donated once again for helping to create this special reading area.
Our Hydrotherapy pool, which is heavily used by our pupils and the local community, is in need of refurbishment. We are currently raising funds to:
- Replace the pool liner or re-tile in inside of the pool (cost in excess of £10,000).
- Repair and refurbish the sensory lighting equipment.
- Refurbish the internal pool area.
Our parents are very interested and keen on forming a fund raising group. Therefore if you are interested in helping us raise funds for our pool please contact the school office.
Tail Lift Mini Bus
We have been raising funds for a brand new tail lift mini bus which will further enable our pupils to take part in educational activities beyond the school. Thanks to everyones amazing fundraising efforts, we raised over £35,000, enabling us to obtain our new bus on a contract hire arrangement in September 2013 but we are still continuing to raise funds for the remaining contract hire payments.
The school would like to thank the following people for their kind donations and fund raising activities:
- The True Colours Trust £10,000
- The Channings Wood Prisoners raised £647 through various fund raising activities.
- M Beardsmore half marathon £390.
- Our Garden Party held in July 2012 raised £1,400.
- Julia Melluish raised £141 through a car boot sale.
- Mr and Mrs Baggot raised £500 through The South West Strongman Challenge.
- The ROAB club donated £1,500.
- EMC Advisory Services raised £527.64.
- Hele Park Golf Club in Newton Abbot raised £6,562. Mayfield was their nominated charity and they held various fund raising activities throughout the year.
- Tracey Poole at Stagecoach raised £533. Tracey, her daughter and her friend took to road on Christmas Eve dressed as Mrs Santa and her Elves on the Number 12 service.
- Mrs Hennessey raised £500 through a community Darts evening.
The list above is not exhaustive and we would like to thank everyone who has made a donation however small or large.
Courtyard Garden (July – September 2012)
Our courtyard, next to FE, has been developed into a new garden area over the summer holidays. The garden area has a pond, an area for rabbits and guinea pigs along with a chicken coop and areas for planting. On Thursday September 13th we held a planting and painting evening, with a BBQ, and many staff stayed behind after school to help finish the garden by planting shrubs and painting the walls.
We would also like to thank the following companies who have donated materials:
- T & J Building Contractors for carrying out the work.
- Rawle Gammon and Baker in Paignton for bags of post create.
- Glendinning in Ashburton for blocks, sand and cement.
- Southern Timber in Newton Abbot for timber and rails.
- Mr and Mrs Ball for rabbit wire.
- Kevin Thulborn Ltd for the chipped bark.
- Build Center Ltd in Paignton for wooden posts.
- Austin Knapman Ltd for wire mesh for the pond.